Ping! Cornwall is a programme of informal table tennis (ping pong) that will run during June, July and August to provide the community of Cornwall with FREE opportunities to play social and competitive table tennis.
A partnership programme with Cornwall Sports Partnership and Table Tennis England funded by Sport England will see table tennis tables pop up at iconic venues, regular social sessions at clubs and venues, within local communities, and at various events across Cornwall.
It is envisaged that during the Ping! Cornwall period that a number of semi-permanent, roll away and concrete tables will be installed across the county giving individuals the opportunity to 'play on' and continue to play table tennis for free
Following a launch at the start of June at the Royal Cornwall Show, Wadebridge the following activity is planned with regular informal play, weekly 'King of Ping' competitions and recruitment of 'Ping Champions' at each venue:
• Ping! Bars - Beerwolf Books, The Watering Hole, Zafiros, Walkabout Newquay Grampound Road Cricket Club, Truro Cricket Club, Truro Rugby Club.
• Ping! Parks - Truro City Council, Kimberley Park, Trelissick National Trust and Heartlands, Mitchell Village Association.
• Ping! Leisure - Newquay Leisure Centre, Helston Sports Centre, Polkyth Leisure Centre, Bodmin Dragon Centre, Bude Splash, Phoenix Leisure Centre, St Ives Leisure Centre.
• Ping! Workplaces - Cornwall Council, St Merryn Foods, Large Diameter Drilling.
• Ping! Colleges - Truro College, Cornwall College, FXU and Tremough Campus.
Ping! will also pop up at our Get Active events in Truro from the 31st May to 1st June and 16th to 19th August.
With the number of tables to be installed, free opportunities at current locations and a large marketing campaign with local press and radio it is hoped that 5,000 people will become weekly ping pongers and a further 10,000 will try the game.
We have great opportunities for individuals, organisations, venues, clubs and businesses to get involved:
- You could host weekly open play sessions at your organisation or a venue nearby during Ping! Cornwall. We can support you by providing tables, bats, balls and promotion of the sessions as needed.
- You could buy a table or two for your venue, club, organisation or business by being a Ping! Cornwall partner (or if you don't have much space, you could still play at your place with a Ping! Pack). We can offer massively discounted rates for our project.
- You could become a Ping! Champion and volunteer to support the wider programme and develop your table tennis and event management skills. We will pay travel expenses, provide training, provide free team t-shirts and support you on the ground.
If you would like to get involved in Ping! Cornwall 2017, please feel free to get in touch: