Eddie Izzard launches the search for 250 brilliant volunteers!
"Legacy, 1 Cynics, 0' was the headline which summed up 2013 for Join In. And last year we saw the legacy of London 2012 alive and well in communities up and down the UK - with 27,000 Games Makers and other volunteers attending Go Local on the Olympic Park; over 11,000 Join In events in local sports clubs and community groups and over 100,000 new volunteers signed up across the UK as part of the 'Join In Summer."
Our patron Eddie Izzard explains why Local Leaders will be so valuable in doing the little things that build the really big things in sport. Watch the video and hear Eddie explain how you can make a real difference in your local community.
As the memories of the Olympic and Paralympic Games fade, other big sporting events are approaching on the horizon, looking for their own volunteers - Tour Makers for the Tour de France 2014, Clyde-siders for Glasgow 2014 and the Rugby World Cup next year.
But it's not the glamour of volunteering at big sporting occasions that holds sport together - it's the local volunteers who help out in community sports clubs providing the backbone to sport in the UK. And seven out of ten sports club tell us they still need more people helping out, ready and willing to do the little things that make a big difference.
That's why in 2014, Join In is on the hunt for 250 brilliant volunteers who will be the face of Join In in their local communities - 'Local Leaders'.
A Join In Local Leader is...
• The public and friendly face of Join In in your local community - a direct line between Join In HQ and the local sports clubs across the UK which need our help.
• Someone who is able and willing to build and develop a local network, linking Join In to local communities and volunteers in their area to the clubs who need them.
• Someone who acts as a spokesperson and pulls together activities during Join In's campaigns to shine a light on the great work done by volunteers in their community.
In return, we can't pay you but we can...
• Welcome you into the Join In family with a fun and informative induction, kit you out with our branded merchandise, and provide you with a toolkit to carry out your role.
• Ensure you have an area co-ordinator who will bring you together with other Join In Local Leaders, and others who work in your local community, to make the most of your role.
• Support you from Join In HQ with Dawn and Tina, our Volunteer Network Managers, always being on hand to update you, offer advice and hear what you've been doing.
Each month, our Director of Sport and triple Olympian Dave Moorcroft will host a conference call to update you on the latest things happening with Join In. You'll be able to submit your questions to him in advance and will also hear from some very special guest speakers...
And finally, we'll host annual events especially for you and your fellow Local Leaders, to bring you together with some of our special Olympic & Paralympic ambassadors and share best practice with other Local Leaders.
So, if you think you have what it takes to help us do the little things in sport that build the great things in sport, then join us at Join In.
Apply today! Click here and apply to become a Local Leader
We are currently accepting applications for Join In Local Leaders. This first round of applications will close at midnight on 2 March 2014.