2015 Get Active Workplace Challenge
An unhealthy and unhappy workforce is costly:
• Each year 140 million working days are lost to sickness absence in the UK, costing UK businesses an estimated £29 billion.
• Presenteeism - attending work while sick - is valued at an average cost to employers of £605 per employee per year, due to reduced productivity.
• The financial cost to British business of mental ill health is estimated at £26 billion per year.
• Smokers sick leave and smoking breaks are estimated to cost UK business £8.7 billion per year.
• High staff turnover can incur huge recruitment and training costs, on top of lost revenue while new employees reach full productivity.
Cornwall Sports Partnership is running a free 2015 Workplace Get Active Challenge from the 28th September for 6 weeks.
We understand that exercise is a fantastic trigger for increased energy levels and improving general health and fitness while at home or work.
The 6 week challenge requires teams of three to compete against colleagues and organisations across Cornwall by logging their minutes of activity or steps online. Any activity is converted into a distance and is plotted along a Cornwall coastline map, with your team being ranked in a leader board showing the average distance covered.
The challenge has been developed and coordinated by the Cornwall Sports Partnership, and run through the Get Active Cornwall website and supported by Workplace Health. This free six-week online Challenge offers you the opportunity to get active, however you choose.
Workplace Health Coordinator, Rachel Faulkner said "The challenge is a fun and exciting opportunity for any company whatever size to take part. It can really help improve team spirit and get employees thinking about small changes that can increase physical activity levels during and after work. "
For more information at to register visit http://www.getactivecornwall.co.uk/challenges/